Friday, February 22, 2008

Hasn't she been through enough?

My poor bug is sick. :( She's had a cold for more than 3 months now and it just doesn't seem to go away. As recently as 3 weeks ago she saw her pediatrician for her 6 month check up and there were no signs of sinus or ear infections.

Well, two nights ago I could hear her wheezing in her crib and when I picked her up, she was really fighting hard to breathe. (This after she threw up all over herself from trying to cough. She doesn't have a very forceful cough, so it gets stuck in her throat and she winds up gagging and vomiting.) I called the doc as soon as the office was open at 9. The girl said, "How far do you live? I have a 9:15." Well, yeah I can be there in 15 minutes - if I don't get anyone dressed!! We took the next appointment - 10:00.

Long story short, her doc wasn't there but the CNP said it sounded like bronchiolitis, sent us home with a nebulizer and an Rx for albuterol and told us to return today to see Dr. B. Of course today, of all days, it had to snow, so I had to drag Cady and Kiefer out this morning (luckily Callia spent the night at my sister's house) in the snow back to the doc's office. He confirmed the bronchiolitis and also said from listening to her lungs, it sounds like pneumonia might be brewing in there. He gave us a prescription for an antibiotic and sent us back out into the snow.

I feel so bad for her! I mean, I know she'll be ok, but this poor kid has been poked and prodded so much already, not to mention fought to breathe the first 12 days of her life, she shouldn't have to deal with this, too. She seems ok, though. Smiling and cooing at times and actually slept through the night last night. Hopefully we caught this early and she doesn't wind up getting worse.

No comments: